Saturday, October 21, 2017

My review of Evil Awakened by J.M. Leduc

Pamoon is a white girl who was raised by the Cree. Soon after her adoptive mother, Kamenna, dies an evil demon is somehow brought into this realm and Pamoon is the key to getting rid of it.

With help from Chief White Eagle, Powan - the tribe's spiritual leader, her aunt Nuna, and her friend Tikh she must decipher all the writing and clues that have been left for her and how to defeat the evil.

But the longer Pamoon struggles with her own identity and destiny, the more powerful that Kanontsistonties becomes. Can Pamoon overcome her self doubts and defeat the evil that is lurking with the Misty Woods?

I really enjoyed this book but I wish Pamoon had been born a Cree. Part of me cringed with a white girl coming in to rescue the Cree just due to all of the racial issues these days but that being said I really did enjoy the book.

I found sometimes the names were a little confusing and I thought it was ironic that the trouble making boys all had "white names" where as everyone else had more traditional names. I'm not too sure what the reasoning was behind that. 

I liked Pamoon and thought she was a strong character who was raised by strong Cree. I also really liked the tie she had with her animal spirit and how that how evolved and helped her in her battle. She had a lot to deal with mentally with everything she was up against and all of the unknown factors.

I also really liked all of the supporting characters that were helping her with her journey and how Chief White Eagle and Powan really supported her and let her know the truth about what they knew about everything. I also really liked Ayas and his somewhat dual roles and I hope he is able to go to the Creator and ask for help.

The ending left me with a OMG moment as I had no clue that another book was coming but I was super happy that Ayas was there.

4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment