Thursday, June 25, 2020

My review of Hostile Territory by Marie James

Deacon Black is a former member of the Army and was married to Daniella Altieri until she cheated on him while he was deployed. Now he owns Blackbridge Security and has put his past behind him until he receives a phone call that his ex-wife has gone missing from her best friend, Annalise Grimaldi.

Annalise Grimaldi has been best friends with Dani since they were kids and she stood by and watched Dani divorce Deacon while already moving onto her next guy. Yet nothing prepares for her to discover that someone in Dani's apartment has been shot and the place destroyed.

Annalise knows that there is only person that can help her and she is willing to do whatever it takes to get Deacon to help, even stop hating him.

As soon as the book started I knew how much I liked Deacon and how much I hated Dani. A little of that spread to Annalise as she supported Dani with her divorce and throwing her new guy in Deacon's face. I liked that Deacon made something of himself and had surrounded himself with an incredible group of people to work with him. He was dedicated to his job and I really respected him for that.

Annalise was interesting as she was a trust fund girl and best friends with Dani yet had recently drifted apart from her. One thing I found curious was that they never really explained what she did as an occupation so I don't know if she only got by with her trust fund.

It was clear pretty fast that Dani got mixed up with the wrong people and that Annalise was guilty by association. Deacon was prepared to do whatever it took to keep Annalise safe but he also began to struggle with his attraction to her and the fact that she was his ex-wife's best friend.

I wasn't surprised at how far Deacon went to find Dani both for Annalise and I think also for himself a little bit. I think it really made Deacon see that he was done with that part of his past completely and he was actually lucky in retrospect.

I was so frustrated for the events in the Maldives and I got why Deacon had to leave but I was so mad at why and Annalise's actions. I was shocked at how she went along with what she was told to do and how she put herself second.

I was proud of Deacon for what he continued to do in the shadows and even happier at the gala for his actions!!

I can't wait to see what happens next!!

5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment