Sunday, May 31, 2020

A Crazy World

At the beginning of the year I never heard much about Covid-19 but I rarely ever have time to have the news on. Mikaela was playing hockey and was on two field lacrosse teams while Brendan was on two different field lacrosse teams. In January we went down to Palm Springs for both kids to compete in Sand Storm, a huge lacrosse tournament and we had a great time!

The first weekend in March, Mikaela and I headed down to Las Vegas to compete in another lacrosse tournament. This was the beginning of the big worry about Covid-19 but our team felt good about going down and really had a blast and won the tournament. We saw some people wearing masks but in Vegas itself we saw nothing to imply that anything was going on.

Four days after we returned things began to escalate and from then on if you left the country you would have to go into quarantine for 14 days. Luckily we just missed the cut off and we all felt fine and continued on.

Then things began to get absolutely crazy. I am a cashier in a grocery store and I usually work about 15-20 hours a week while the kids are at school but the first week after the word quarantine was mentioned I ended up with 44 hours. The next week was close to the same and we began losing staff members who were afraid to work. It was nuts and nothing I ever want to experience again. We were all running ragged and getting yelled at by the customers as we began to limit everything so that we could get food to as many people as possible. It was the most difficult situation to ever work in but those of us remaining did what we could to support each other and help one another mentally.

At this time I was also having to read and get books reviewed as well and I began to fall behind as I just couldn't keep my eyes open at night. I was so exhausted and felt like I was barely holding on as I would come home from work and then make sure to cook dinner for the kids and try to get any housework done that I could. My house is still a disaster and I have no idea when it will be clean again.

As work began to calm down my work week averages close to 30 hours but now I am throwing home schooling on top of it. We have done our best and there are times that I know Bren may not be getting it all done but we are really trying. My blog has definitely suffered and I feel bad every time I review a book late which still happens depending upon my work week and level of exhaustion. My legs are so swollen from standing on them all day and I look forward to being able to see my ankles again one day!

The kids are each dealing with it differently. Bren seems to be content to play on his x-box all the time and not do much else although sometimes he will help me with cooking or dishes. Mik is definitely missing her friends and her sports. She has felt much more overwhelmed with school work and all of the assignments she has in grade 9.

We are all trying our best during these trying times and the one thing that is apparent is that we all need to be so kind and patient during these times!

To the authors I have been late on I apologize so much as I never anticipated anything like this ever happening!!

Stay safe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment