Thursday, May 28, 2020

My review of We Were Once by S..L. Scott

Chloe Fox is 20 years old and has a goal of becoming a doctor. Her dad would like her to follow in his footsteps but Chloe wants to be an Emergency Doctor. Everything was set for Chloe until the day that he showed up at her doorstep and began to throw everything off course.

Joshua Evans is 22 years old and attends Yale while also working at his single mom's diner, Patty's Diner. He is able to attend Yale through his father but doesn't have anything else to do with his dad and therefore he and his mom don't have a lot.

When Chloe meets Josh she begins to live a little more and see life differently but what will the cost be for her own dreams?

But one night tragedy strikes and everything changes.

OMG - this was such an incredible book!!! I loved it and didn't want to put it down!

I thought Chloe was a great character who was in a really tough position with her dad with their respective goals and ambitions for Chloe. Chloe also felt torn with her parents recent separation and how her mom was in favor of Chloe living her life more so than her dad. I liked that Chloe was young but also she was focused and her friendship with Ruby Darrow was great.

Right from the first moment that we meet Joshua I loved him! He was easy going but was also extremely devoted to his mom and he had his own goals and wanted to do it on his own and not with handouts from his dad, other than school. I liked that he was true to himself and recognized that he didn't grow up privileged but that didn't hold him back.

The chemistry between Josh and Chloe was apparent from the first moment that they met and only grew with time. They were devoted to each other and really believed that they were suited to each other in spite of their differences growing up. I loved how much they trusted each other and open they were with each other. The only downfall for Chloe were that her grades began to slip as everything wasn't focused on school.

I liked how accepting both Chloe and Josh's mom's were the relationship but Chloe's dad was an entirely different story and I really didn't like him at all. As a parent I know we have "dreams" for our kids but Chloe's dad was solely focused on himself and had no cares what Chloe wanted for herself.

The event that happened was tragic and the events after were even more so. My heart absolutely shattered for Josh and I was so mad and I was also super sad for Chloe not knowing the truth behind everything and how that changed her life. I was just so mad and broken for Josh though.

I knew that the author had to bring everything together again as that's what she does best after she shatters my heart and I was so happy for how she accomplished everything!

I was so proud of Josh for building himself back up and this time taking what he was given and using it to follow his own dreams. It was great how he was able to do what he did and keep everything quiet.

I must admit that I was a little upset with Chloe after she missed something important but I was proud of her in the aftermath for what she was willing to give up to follow her own path.

I loved when Josh and Chloe were able to finally talk about everything that had happened and then the huge fight after when Chloe finds something. I was glad that Josh made her listen to him and Chloe realized everything that he had to endure and give up and why.

The very end was so awesome and it was like a complete circle and I loved the significance of the property!

I can't wait to read more from this author!!

5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment