Thursday, November 12, 2015

My review of Beyond the Ivory Tower by Jill Blake

Dr. Anna Lazarev is a math professor who believes that you need to get a degree to get anywhere in life so when her sister, Klara, drops out of college for a fellowship program she is devastated.

Ethan Talbot is a Venture Capitalist who believes that people do not need degrees, but mentor-ship to get further in life and offers a program to help bright students. He is used to being in the press and receiving attention for his apparent "playboy lifestyle" but nothing prepares him for Anna.

His attraction for Anna is undeniable but will the core differences they have for education break apart any chance that the two have of a future together. Will either be able to make the compromise that they other suggests they make or does each of their respective advances in their careers mean too much to them to let go.

Will they be able to work out their problems before it's too late?

I really enjoyed this book. I loved how Anna made it in what is typically deemed as a man's facility. I completely understand why she believes that education is so important but I also understand where Ethan is coming from in that we give people an education which leaves them with a pile of debt and no hands-on experience in the real world. I think this book really makes you think about ways we can improve the real world and take what both Anna and Ethan have to offer!

This was my first book by Jill Blake and it certainly will not be my last!

5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment