Sunday, May 1, 2022

Cinco De Mayo Feast!

 We love Mexican food and although we have tacos quite a bit we don't usually make a full meal so I wanted us to have the full meal experience this year.

We decided on Chili's Skillet Queso, Flank Steak Tacos, Mexican Rice and a Tres Leche Cake - all fabulous!! 

Bren absolutely loves getting the Queso from Chipotle but I decided to try the copycat for Chili's in part because it looked so easy! The recipe is two ingredients and I found that with the chili that I used there wasn't any need to blend it up as there were no large chunks at all. It was super good and a great appy!

As soon as I saw the Flank Steak Taco recipe come through I knew I had to try it. Last year I began to cook with Flank Steak more as previously it wasn't something I was comfortable with cooking but now I am beginning to get a handle on it although I still have so much more to learn. The most important part with the tacos is to remember to marinate them ahead of time and I had mine marinating overnight. They were so full of flavour! We topped ours with guacamole, cheese, and a delicious salsa that we get from a local berry farm. So good!!

The Mexican rice ended up causing us a few problems as we couldn't find a proper lid to go over the pot so I think the cooking was a little off. That being said the rice was still really good and we will definitely be trying to make it again once we find the missing lid.

I've never made Tres Leche cake and this recipe promised that it would be easy! The only small problem I had was that we couldn't find the hand mixer so I did it by hand until we found the hand blender which didn't exactly whip it up the way it should I didn't get any small peaks. That being said the cake was still super light and it turned out awesome and this is definitely something I will make again. 

You can find all of the links here:

Chili's Skillet Queso: https://copykat.com/chilis-skillet-queso/?utm_source=pinterest&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-pug

Flank Steak Tacos: https://www.mybakingaddiction.com/flank-steak-tacos/

Mexican Rice: https://lilluna.com/food-tutorial-spanish-rice/

Tres Leche Cake: https://cookiesandcups.com/tres-leches-cake/


No comments:

Post a Comment