Thursday, June 8, 2017

My review of A Fighting Chance by Annie Stone

Mackenzie Hall is 25 and a therapist at a local gym for abused women. A year ago she entered into a relationship with Carter Tilman, 43, the head of Tilman Financial Group and she has just recently moved in with him.

When a visit from his sons, Hunter, 19, and Carey, 15 surprises the couple they are shocked when the boys announce they went to stay. But the boys resentment for Mackenzie is apparent and she becomes a person she herself doesn't recognize - afraid to rock the boat.

When Carter begins to travel for work more and more the pressure is on Mackenzie but she also finds herself attracted to Hunter, who takes every chance he can to make crude gestures and remarks to Mackenzie.

Will Mackenzie be able to handle the pressure of everything around her or will everything fall apart?

I really enjoyed this book and it turned out totally different than I thought it would.

I loved Mackenzie from start to finish. When we got a glimpse of her past I was shocked at what she overcame and how she truly evolved into a strong woman who deserved every good thing that came her way. I felt so bad that there was so much pressure on her in regards to Carter's sons and he was never there supporting her and realizing how difficult things were for her with them.

So I definitely had mixed feelings with Carter. I liked him at the start and then my opinion definitely went downhill through the book. I was super mad that he just left Mackenzie and went off to work and was never there for her and his sons. Obviously his sons had gone through hell with their mom, Lauren, and the boys needed their dad and he wasn't there. I was super mad at the very end at him with what he did to Lauren first and then Hunter. I was just shocked and really disappointed.

I hated Hunter at the beginning but at the same time I could understand that he was hurting from what happened with his mom and then to go to his dad's and find her there would have been hurtful. He was also a very good looking kid who was super cocky and was ready to test all the boundaries that he could. Being around Mackenzie definitely made him change into a better guy and he truly fell in love with her. I liked that he was willing to follow his own dreams and I was blown away by what it cost him.

I liked the change in Carey from start to finish. He was such an angry boy at the beginning but with the support of Mackenzie he did a total change when he found someone that stuck up for him and cared about him.

I hope that we get more from these characters in another book as I think there is so much that was just left and I personally want more!!

4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment