Wednesday, June 7, 2017

My review of Bitter Legacy by C.B. Clark

Sharla-Jean Bromley has just returned back to Renton Falls for the funeral of her dad "Big Jim". The people from town are not happy that she has shown back up and feel like she is responsible for the death of her father by leaving 17 years ago after starting the mill he owned on fire. But she has kept secrets from that night and the one person she thought was on her side let her down.

Josh Morgan now owns half of Bromley Forest Products but in order to keep the company, he has to work with Sharla-Jean for an entire year according to Big Jim's will. He is extremely reluctant to do so but knows how many people are counting on him to keep the company going.

Yet someone else appears to have a vested interest in the company when things are broken and fires are started again. Is it Sharla-Jean like everyone suspects or is it someone with a hidden agenda?

I really enjoyed this book and some of the twists and turns that the reader is taken on.

My heart completely went out to Sharla-Jean for what she went through and I completely understand why she left. Yet she was still labeled so cruelly when she really she just needed some attention as she wasn't getting any at home. Yet she was able to turn her life around in Portland and become somewhat stronger although the names she was called at Jim's funeral really hurt her.

I liked Josh and how Jim used Josh as almost a replacement for Sharla-Jean once he stopped drinking. Josh was determined to keep the business running but he knew something was wrong. I was super mad at him when he lashed out and blamed Sharla-Jean for a few things but it was set up too much to be her fault.

Kevin Nelson was the company's comptroller and Josh never trusted him but Jim and then Sharla-Jean both did. He was definitely trying to get what he wanted from Sharla-Jean and he hated Josh so much. He was definitely an interesting twist in the story and someone that interfered with Josh and Sharla-Jean getting together.

I did figure out some of the stuff but I admit that I had the wrong angle and why and thought it was related to the twist in the will and not what really happened.

This is the first time I have read this author and it won't be my last.

4 Stars

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much, Rebecca, for taking the time to read my book and write a review. I really appreciate your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete