Monday, February 13, 2017

My review of What Happens in Bangkok by Daryl Devore

Erika Bailey is the owner/manager of a drag queen club in Bangkok. She is extremely tight with many of the drag queens that work for her and does what she can to provide them with a safe environment.

Darien Scott is a well known rock star and he has just gotten off tour when he is visiting with one of the leaders of a Triad group when everyone in the bar is killed but he manages to escape and now he is running for his life. With his brother Brian's help and his roommates he becomes the drag queen Apollo.

As Darien begins to work for Erika he finds himself very attracted to her but can't act on it, knowing she may discover who he really is. When it's clear that someone is out for something that Erika may have and her life is in danger will Darien be able to protect her?

I enjoyed this book and I liked the "relationship" between Erika and Darien.

I liked Erika and thought she was a strong character and loved that she owned a drag queen bar. Yet I found it weird that she was called Erik by everyone and I had to reread the beginning to make sure I was reading that right. I found "Erik" made me think of a guy and I hated that personally.

There was a lot of mystery surrounding the attacks and Erika and her club and I honestly don't feel like that was resolved enough to my liking. As of now I still am unsure of who was really responsible. I was also intrigued at how Erika was so accepting of the truth when it was revealed to her about Apollo.    

I liked Darien but am still puzzled on how nobody put it together until Detective Mookjai. I know they colored his hair but it made me wonder how much of a change they did. People knew he was missing but only a couple of strangers put it together and I have no clue on how Gan didn't put it together. I found it weird that a few people knew he was Brian's brother but Erika didn't put two and two together. Darien obviously cared a lot about Erika, Brian and his friends and I loved what he did for them in the end at the club.

Brian and his friends were great and definitely some super interesting characters that we will hopefully see more of in the next book.

One thing that I didn't like was that it seemed like there was a few things left hanging. At the end of the book we discover that there is a second book coming but we still don't know about the flash drive. There is also no answer to who Raul who really is either.

I have some guesses to who walks in at the end but I guess we'll have to see!

3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment