Thursday, February 23, 2017

My review of Sublime Karma by Peyton Garver

Brie Lindstrom is the new girl at school and for her senior year. Right away she becomes the target for the "popular" girls and finds herself getting attention for all the wrong reasons. She gradually makes a few friends but she is afraid to let anyone know about the secrets that she holds close and the demons that she fights.

Jake Gordon is a high school senior who plays football and also plays in the band Sublime Karma. He is attracted to Brie but realizes she is very guarded. Yet soon he is vying for her attention with Ryan, the captain of the cross country team.

Will Jake be able to help break down the walls around Brie and when he learns the truth about her life will he stick by her side or will he panic and leave her?

I really enjoyed this book but it does deal with some super heavy subject matters that not everyone may be comfortable with.

My heart was so open to Brie and I felt so bad with how she was treated right away at school and harassed so much when she never did a single thing to the "popular" girls. As the book went on and I learned even more about Brie I had tears in my eyes learning about the struggles she was going through. It frustrates me that Brie's mom didn't take her kids seriously and I really wish that Leif could have lived closer to Brie.

Jake was an interesting character as he was one of the popular kids yet at the same time he was willing to risk everything for Brie. His popularity didn't matter when it came to her but that also made Brie an obvious target for Sarah and her friends. Jake had his own demons that he struggled with and he did the best he could with the hand he was given.

I loved the talk between Jake and Brie where everything was revealed and both showed so much strength and it resulted in a super strong bond between the two of them. Yet that still didn't mean that more drama didn't happen due to jumping to conclusions!

A great book about dealing with difficult situations and having the courage to overcome them.

4 Stars

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Rebecca! Thanks so much for reviewing Sublime Karma. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete