Thursday, April 18, 2019

My review of Learning Curve by Andi Jaxon


Alister Bennet is a 36 year old math teacher at Seattle Pacific University and is classes are full of adoring females. Yet he keeps his private life under wraps due to the college and their traditional values. He has never been tempted to cross the teacher-student line before but that was before seeing him.

Ben Wallace is 23 and has not had an easy life growing up in foster care. The only one he confides in is his best friend, Kristen Collins. He knows he has to pass Calculus to keep his scholarship but he’s afraid he will fail and lose everything right before graduation.

When Ben approaches Alister for help with tutoring he can’t deny how attracted he is to him but they come from two different worlds and Ben is afraid to let anyone in and see his situation.

Can Alister reach out to Ben and with their mutual attraction can they keep everything under wraps before anyone finds out?

This was such a good book with some truly heartbreaking and uplifting moments to keep your emotions going from one end of the spectrum to the other.

I thought Alister was a great character and I hated that he had to hide a part of himself for his job but I understood why he did it. I liked that he had never experienced something like he had the first time he saw Ben and I really liked that he saw the pain inside of him at the same time. I loved his relationship with his family and how they accepted him for who he was. His relationship with his twin brother Alex was so funny and I liked how Alex had a key to his place and would always come in at the worst moments.

Ben was obviously so full of pain and was really trying to hide how badly he was off from everyone around him, but most notably Alister and Kristen. I loved that Kristen was trying to help him but he wouldn’t accept anything from her which did make me sad as he really needed some basic things and he deserved them. I hated that he was in hiding but it soon made sense on why he was.

The relationship between Ben and Alister was fully of chemistry and sizzle from the first moment they saw each other and continued through the book. I liked that everything was gradual and they took their time with each other and it slowly progressed into more.

There were so many heartbreaking moments in the book dealing with Ben when you learn about his past and then with certain events that occur during the book. Ben doesn’t want to anyone know about his dire condition and he hasn’t had anyone but Kristen ever care about him so I loved when he realized that Alister truly cared and wanted him to succeed and take care of him.

I was so upset when one event in the book led to another and I crossed my fingers that Alister would be able to figure things out with help from Kristen and Alex. It just truly broke my heart to see what he had to endure again and it makes me truly hate the evil in the world.

Like I said my emotions were all over the place in the book and there were some really sensitive moments and heartbreaking things that nobody should ever after to endure but the end really made up for it although I was mad at what Alister also had to endure but he came out on top.

The end was awesome and I loved the way everything went. I hope we get a book with either Alex or Kristen next or better yet one with both of them together!

4.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment